Friday, May 25, 2012

The Heat is On!

Well, there's no getting around it...Summer has hit Atlanta; with a vengeance!

The humidity the past couple of weeks has ZAPPED my speed and endurance. I've been struggling to get through a 5/8/5 schedule.
It's strange to go from a half marathon, to struggling through 5 miles. I haven't even been able to run a full 8. I've been doing a 3/2 interval on those days.

I didn't lose any outdoor run time this winter. It was just a perfect winter for running. The temps stayed in the 50's most days. Even on the "cold" days, I could get by wearing capris and a light long sleeve tech shirt. Most of the time I'd come home too hot.
That really should have been a sign that summer was coming hard and fast. One look at my Daily Mile log and you'll see that all I seem to do lately is bitch about the heat. The last fantastic run I had was in April, when I ran the 10k across the Golden Gate Bridge. I day dream about that race. I'd do it every year.

But, this IS Atlanta, and there is simply no getting around the heat and humidity. Stopping for the summer isn't an option, so I just have to suck it up and do it.

The miracle isn't that I finished, or started, it's that I kept putting one foot in front of the other and got the miles I wanted in.

No comments:

Post a Comment